Friday, December 9, 2011

I sat in that cold, metal chair next to your bed. I watched you as you laid there, pain swept across your face. All I could feel in that moment was how unprepared and useless I felt. I could only seem to mutter, "Are you okay?" over and over and all you could do was give a slight chuckle because you and I both knew you were far from okay. For a moment I sat there on that metal chair and wished I could take the pain from you. You laid there with your eyes closed, only periodically opening them and turning to see if I was still there.  You gave a slight grin each time you saw me still sitting there. Tears welled up into my eyes as I watched you try to get comfortable and no position provided relief. I tried to hide them as you turned to me, but I know you saw them. I am trying to be strong and be someone that you can count on.  I want you to always trust in me and know that I will fight for you through and through. I know that we are going to be okay, Grandpa. Because of my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, I feel comfort. I feel joy. Sure, I feel sadness and pain, but I know it's measurably less pain than what I would feel if I didn't have the knowledge that I know. I hope that I can always remember that we are just spirits in human bodies rather than vice versa.  In the perspective of forever, it will only be a short while before we meet again. "What joy this sweet sentence brings."

No comments:

Post a Comment