Friday, April 26, 2013

A testimony of a smile

I feel compelled to write this memory down so that one day I will read back and remember how our happiness can affect those around us.

A month or so ago, I went to a bar with some of my classmates. We sat around talking and eating half priced food...to say I felt good about it, is an understatement. I was truly happy in the moment and talked until the moment we decided to part ways. As we were walking out of the restaurant, there was a  huge glass display sitting to the right.  Inside the glass display was a GIANT cake, it was huge! As we all began to stare at the cake, a worker noticed and told us that if we could guess how much the cake weighed he would give us a free cupcake.  Everyone put in their guesses and everyone got rejected. Finally, he unveiled the number...25 lbs! We all laughed as we thought back to our guesses and started to turn and walk out. Suddenly, the worker looked right at me and said, "You have the most beautiful smile. Don't you ever lose that smile...I noticed it all night long." I felt all the blood rush into my face literally a half second after he complimented me. I thanked him and walked away in shock as I thought about all of the beautiful girls I was with who each had bigger, whiter, straighter teeth than I had.

Second memory...

A few weeks ago I went to Walmart.  I was leisurely walking down every aisle (like normal) when I finally made it to get some eggs. Another gentleman walked up at the same time so I stood and waited my turn (and apparently I was smiling).  The man grabbed his eggs and then turned to me and said in an accent, "You have a great smile. Girls don't smile anymore these days. You should always smile." I thanked him and asked him where he was from. He had recently moved to Vegas from South Africa and we continued to chat for a second and then he shook my hand and walked away.

Last memory...

Last week I went to a country dancing bar with a few friends.  It was a little chilly out and we all stood in line waiting to get our ID's checked while taking a few pictures.  The bouncer started to check ID's and let two of my friend's in.  He then got to my ID, looked at my picture, then up at me then back to my picture. He replied, "You have a very nice, big smile." I thanked him and went inside to go dance.

Why do I care to remember these experiences? I have never felt very great about my smile. Before I got braces I never smiled with my teeth and once I got them off I did much more but I was the token person that people were "intimidated" of because I walked around school not smiling and not even realizing it. I have never looked in the mirror and thought that I had an amazing smile but, let this be proof, don't ever hold back your smile.

1 comment: