Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blessings from above.

Tonight we gathered as a family at Grandpa's request. He asked for a priesthood blessing and so all of the family gathered around. I cannot explain all of the feelings that I had going on in my body but I do know that the Lord hears our prayers and loves us. As Grandpa walked over to his chair I watched his face. I watched his brows furrow and tears well up in his eyes. Immediately I felt the burning in my nose and tears start coming out of my own eyes. He sat on the chair and I watched as tears began to run down his cheeks. I have never seen Grandpa cry in my entire life and tonight he was so different. The feeling in the air was one that was bittersweet. He received a blessing from Uncle Mike and the spirit was so strong in the room. I don't even recall what exactly was said but I do know that it was the truth. I have never cried-sobbed-bawled so hard in my life. I couldn't stop the tears from coming and I couldn't stop the sobs from escaping my body. I held my breath and tried to listen but I knew why we were there and I couldn't help but start to miss Grandpa before he had even left.

The blessing finished and I immediately left the room. I couldn't be there any longer. The room was closing in on me. Was this really happening? I kept telling myself that this could not be reality. I watched as Grandpa walked around the room and hugged his children. I watched him hold Aunt Kat and sob. I have never in my life experienced something like this. Grandma then was up to receive a blessing. The uncles asked Grandpa if he would be able to stand in the circle and the next thing they knew he was the one giving the blessing. What strength my grandpa has.

I cried and cried tonight to the point where I didn't think I would be able to have any liquid left in my body but it still seems there is some left as I sit and write this. I am happy and sad all in one. I am so grateful for the gospel. It is a gem that I will forever be grateful for. The plan of salvation is real.  Through this knowledge I know that I will see my Grandpa again when it comes time for him to leave this Earthly life. I cannot and could not ask for a better role model and hero than Grandpa.

This weekend I had the opportunity to go to a conference with a few other students from ASU. I was nervous as I left. The timing could not have been worse. I did not want to leave my grandparents but I had already committed to going and had a plane ticket booked. Before I left I hugged Grandpa and looked him in the eyes and said, "I WILL see you when I get back." As I left that Thursday night I worried but checked in the next day to find he was doing even better. Tonight as Grandpa was getting ready to sit in the chair for his blessing he stopped and looked at me and said, "I was expecting a phone  call from you letting me know you had gotten home." As I looked at his face I knew exactly what he meant. He waited for me. I am so grateful for my Grandpa. I am so lucky that I chose to come to be a part of this family. Families are forever. What a sweet blessing this is!

No comments:

Post a Comment