Sunday, July 3, 2011

Haz lo Justo, July 3


Today we pulled our achy, cold bodies out of bed after a freezing cold weekend. {As I type this now I have my really cute cut off gloves on to try to warm up my fingers a little.} As our alarm clocks went off it was so tempting to press the snooze until church was over. We finally got up to take nice, cold showers and threw on some make up and clothes for church. We ate a quick breakfast and were out the door around 9:56-4 minutes til church started. We got there a few minutes late and to our benefit, church hadn’t started yet. THANK YOU PERUVIAN STANDARD TIME! We were the only white people in the chapel besides one elder serving from Utah, Elder Huntsman.  The meeting started and although most of the time I had no idea what was being said, I tried my best to listen and comprehend.  It started off amazing-with a confirmation of a young girl probably about 15 or so. As I watched the men confirm her I could not help but hold back the tears. The spirit was so strong. I can honestly say that as I sat in the meeting I could feel God’s love for these people. He loves them SO much! The meeting continued on with the blessing of the sacrament. The prayer for the bread went so smoothly but once the water blessing came, the man struggled. He probably had to start over 6 times. BUT I feel as though it was another example of the love the Savior has for each of us-I couldn’t help but open my eyes and watch the Bishop as he mouthed the words and got a smile on his face when he started saying the right words, and then also to finally watch the Bishop get up and stand behind the man and whisper a few prompts so that he could finish it on his own. THESE PEOPLE ARE SO LOVING. Rach and I discussed how happy the people are here, but once we walked into the Church we could FEEL the happiness of the people. There is a distinct different of the love and kindness of the members down here in Peru. It was testimony meeting today, which made my love grow for these people even more. It was a little different than a testimony meeting in the U.S. Right after the bishopric member bore his testimony; the Bishop got up and bore his. He was followed by at least 8 people who immediately went and sat in the stands to wait their turn.  Mostly women bore their testimonies but there were 2 young boys probably around the ages of 9 and 12 that decided to bear their testimonies and I became a bawl baby. Those testimonies of those young boys changed my life. They changed my heart and mind and I cannot tell you how grateful I am that they decided to get up to share their sweet testimonies. After the huge crowd sitting in the stands and died down a few more people got up and my legs started to uncontrollably shake. My heart was so full and I felt the need to go up. I went up there and waited for a woman to finish her testimony followed by a man and then it was my turn. I got up and said,”Buenas dias, me llamo Morgan y soy de los Estados Unidos. Espanol es muy dificil para mi pero quiero compartir me testimonio simple. Yo se que Dios vive. El conoce todos sus hijos. La iglesia el la verdadera. Tengo un testimonio de El Libro de Mormon. Tengo muchas gracias porque el espiritu aqui es maravilloso. Quiero vivir en Cusco porque el espiritu tiene mas fuerza. Muchas gracias para compartir esta Iglesia con yo y mi amiga. En el nombre de Jesucristo, Amen.” I knew I had conjugated things wrong and not said correct words but in the end it didn’t matter. I felt the spirit and I knew I had a testimony. As I looked through the crowd and I got emotional to see the smiles the members and Rach’s face. I came and sat down in my seat next to Rachel and could not have felt more happy. I was overwhelmed with joy. I sat and cried and Rach gave me some rough toilet paper to wipe my tears. After a minute or so a sweet, little woman passed up a tissue for us. I am grateful for the sweetness of these people. We were meant to come here; I just know it.  After I bore my testimony there was another woman and 3 other younger girls who went. Rachel then got up and walked to the stand. She was the most perfect and sweetest testimony to end on. She got up and said, “Me llamo Rachel. No hablo mucho espanol. Tengo un testimonio y yo se que Dios vive. En el nombre de Jesucristo, Amen.” It was beautiful. It was so simple, yet it was all that was needed to be said. I am so proud of her. Never in a million years would I have been so brave to get up there after just a few days of Spanish classes. I am proud, I feel blessed, and I am grateful that I came here with Rach. It never ceases to amaze me how intricate God’s plan is. Rach was sent into my life for a reason and I feel such a great love for her. I feel so close with her and I couldn’t have asked for a better friend, or sister.  Everything makes sense down here. I feel God’s love more than I ever have in my life and I feel so grateful because I KNOW this is what I needed more than anything-to get out of rut I was stuck in for months. I love this gospel-I love missionaries who are so selfless and willing to serve-This is the truth and part of God’s plan. I am grateful for missionaries who see a need and deliver. It can be as difficult as baptism or as easy as offering a libro de himnos to two American girls in a foreign place. I am grateful for the girl who gave the closing prayer who expressed thanks for those who bore their testimonies including the girls from the United States. Never forget that the Church is true-through it, we can find happiness and peace. 

1 comment:

  1. This post seriously brought me to tears... I am so happy that you are able to experience that wonderful country full of wonderful people. Morgan you are such an example to me. This post makes me a little jealous because since we've been here we haven't been able to find a church. I didn't realized until I read your post how much I am truly missing the sacrament and missing the spirit that can come from a fast and testimony meeting. you're truly amazing! I love reading all your posts... Keep um coming! love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete