Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Learning and Growing, June 28th Part 1


Today has been such a great day. I feel so at peace here. I look around at all of the architecture and scenery and I can’t help but fall in love with Cusco again. I don’t feel like I am a changed person BUT I can say that this has been a life changing experience. I love all of the music playing throughout the streets-a mix of Peruvian music and American. I love how friendly the people are here. I love how cheap it is here. I love that I am not only learning more about Peru each day but also learning more about Rachel and myself as well. I have loved being here because I feel so happy. I have never laughed so hard with anybody else at the dumbest things ever. I have never felt this accepted by a group of people that I am just getting to know. It’s amazing to me how people come into our lives so we can learn more about ourselves. Today in Spanish class, Walter was being the best teacher ever and reminding us of some vocabulary words for vegetables. He started to write them on the board when Rachel whipped out a book her friend Josh gave her to help her learn more Spanish. He asked where she had gotten this book at Rachel told him her friend gave it to her and he asked if he was Mexican or something. We then explained to him that Josh served a 2 year mission in Georgia. He then got excited because he remembered that Rach’s boyfriend Steven is serving a mission right now. He asked us if we practiced the same religion as the boys and we replied “yes.” He then asked us what the name of our church was-I struggled a little bit but then I remembered my dad practicing it with Bryant before he left so I spit out, “La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los santos de los ultimos dias!” He knew exactly what we were talking about. We tried to describe what Elders look like and asked if he had seen any-he said he knew of the “Mormons” and thought he had seen the missionaries before. He also was able to mention “James Smith or something.” He asked if we wanted his opinion but I quickly replied “no” so the moment would not be ruined. Of course we were able to tell him his name was Joseph Smith and he immediately told us where a church was. He described the architecture of the steeple and everything. In that moment I could not have been happier. THIS IS GOD’S WORK. Rach and I are now planning to get a Spanish Book of Mormon for Walter to give to him when we leave. I love this experience of my life-this is my mini “moving away/mission” moment and I could not be more grateful for these opportunities I am having. 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh.... What an awesome experience! We still haven't been able to find a church here in Salvador! I guess the church in this area is very weak. :(

    ReplyDelete